Site Dev

New Plan (2013) 

  • ChordPro Archive: DropBox or Google Drive archive of ChordPro plain text tabs.
    • Write script to convert my current google docs into this format.
    • Write a little script for renaming ChordPro files based on the song title and singer
  • HTML + CSS: Write script for an extremely simple formatting display of ChordPro files.
  • PDF: Build script for taking the simple HTML file and putting them into a PDF with a table of contents
  • Tabs + Chords: Implement script using ukegeeks Scriptasaurus for putting my tabs into desired format.
  • Relationships: Think about how to grow the ChordPro archive.

Old Plan (2012)

  • Hosting
    • Google sites is a poor choice because I can't link to external Javascript libraries.
      • Google gadgets seems to be phasing out.  At least iGoogle is.
      • I'd rather create some simple functions.
    • Droppages may be ok for some of the javascript apps, then.
  • Design
    • Main song file is in doc format so that anyone can add or edit them.  html file is then created from the .doc each time it is needed
  • Organization
    • Song Object Fields
      • Title
      • Artist
      • Lyrics_Chords (Interleaved chords and lyrics) - learn from Danno
        • Tag for chord
        • Tag for tablature (courier text)
        • Tag for title
      • Youtube links
      • Key (preferred)
      • Chords_link
      • Notes to the reader. 
    • Song Object Methods - modifying tabs
      • Convert lyrics file to an html file with an associated css file with the following markups
        • Tag for title
        • Tag for chords
        • Tag for tablatures (i.e. fixed with font for tabs)
      • Change key of html file
      • Insert chord shapes at top of html file
      • Export html file to a .txt or .pdf
  • Import functionality
    • Add event so that when you click in the html box for input, all the text is automatically deleted.
    • Exports the tab into a Google document using my standardized format. 
      • Request title and artist (move "The" to end of name if appropriate)
      • Calculate (or request) key
      • Request youtube link
      • Identify any tablature lines and keep those as fixed width
      • Write a cleanUpTab function to make sure there's either a space "yo [G] mama" or dash "yo ma-[G]-ma" in each case
      • Add "uploaded by" to excel spreadsheet so that you can contact the uploader before changing
    • Publish google document
    • Updates the excel tab list with the new song.  
    • I'd like to be able to convert to html by clicking on a link in the table.
    • Replace all double returns with single returns
  • Aesthetics
    • Resize header image based on page width (at least see what happens if I implement that.)  Can I change header size in google sites?
    • Can I make it so the header doesn't reload every time I switch pages?
    • For converter, put the input and output into two columns so easier to see.  Maybe the convert button on top.
  • Exports
    • Create a pdf file by automatically stitching together documents in a particular google folder.
    • Create a pdf of a subset of songs, for songbooks that are easy, or for the Uke Union meetups.
      • Take import from a csv or excel file
        • column 1 = Song Title
        • column 2 = Key
        • Options (1: put chord shapes at top, or better yet at right, 2: format 1 line tab or 2 lines 3: keep to one page)
  • Other functions
    • Change the key of a song, or switch the notation from chords letters to numbers.
    • Function to automatically figure out the key of a song.  Give score based on notes in all possible keys.  
    • Have excel table be searchable
  • Allow user to upload a file or a folder full of files, instead of requiring copy and paste.
Comments